How To: Run a Collection Drive
- Get permission from your school's principal.
- Have teachers promise to do something crazy if you reach a certain goal. Think: wear a ridiculous t-shirt to work or shave their heads.
- Recruit anyone and everyone to help you out. Pull the guilt trip and/or friendship card if you have to. (Hey, it’s for a good cause!)
- Market your drive. Make posters and fliers ahead of time giving people the details.
- Use some creativity to decorate the boxes/barrels. You can even put it on t-shirts, pants, whatever.
- Make an announcement over the PA system. Or use your big mouth during lunch or in between periods and shout out the cause.
- Offer to pick up the donations at houses or set up a collection bin in the front of your school or lunchroom. As a matter of fact, DO BOTH.
- Set a donation goal and give daily updates on how close you are to achieving it.
- Officially end the drive by posting the number of donations you collected in the main lobby or lunchroom. And give special thanks to everyone who chipped in.
- Send your donations to a charity in your area. Make sure you get the okay beforehand.
- Can’t think of any ways off the chain to raise donations for your cause? Check out our list of 11 Ideas for a Collection Drive.
We want to hear what you did. Post your project here. GO