Registering as an organ donor is simple. You can sign people up online, and then they'll be able to display their status on their state ID.
- Get a space to hold your drive. Find a space large enough to hold the event. A classroom would be a perfect size. Maybe your school would allow you to do this after school hours.
- Promote your drive.Put up signs and let people know why it is important to be a donor. Also make sure to include a time and location.
- Table and a few chairs. If you don’t have a small portable table to bring, ask a friend or neighbor if they have one you can borrow. Have a couple of chairs nearby just in case you have a line.
- Laptop with internet connection. You will need one so they can sign up. You can sign them up here.
- Print out several donor cards to have at the table. They can fill one out and keep it in their wallets. It is especially important for those without a driver’s license to have one of these. Make sure you have a sign that says so. Also, have some pens handy. Print the cards here.
- Inform your potential donors. Make pamphlets, or printed sheets of paper with facts and myths about organ donations. Have the Organ Donor Website listed too. Having a FAQ section is great too. In the front of your pamphlet have a real life success story to show potential donors what a great thing they are doing.
- Have a plate of cookies or candy on the table. If you’re not a baker, maybe your mom wouldn’t mind baking some cookies for your event. Come on, everyone loves free food.
- Have fun and discuss. This is a great way to learn from your peers. Discussing this subject is a great way to make a new friend, or just have a great conversation.
Here is some FAQ you can use for your information:
- Who can donate? ANYONE
- Does it cost money to be an organ donor? NO, not one cent.
- How old do you have to be? You can be any age.
- Can I sell my own organs? NO! It is extremely illegal to do so.
- Will I be saving a life if I donate? Yes, in most cases you would be saving someone’s life.
- What do I have to show for it if I do not have a driver’s license? Fill out a donor card (which will be at the donor drive)