A lot of Americans don't know how someone contracts HIV. Lead an exercise that teaches participants how tramission occurs.
- Find a space that your group can move around in.
- Hang signs in two different areas that say "Agree" or "Disagree." People will be able to move to these options when you ask questions.
- Read out loud the first of common perceptions that people have about HIV on your list. Each person will need to think whether they agree or disagree with it and move to that side of the room (if the person is unsure, he or she can remain in the middle).
- Ask people why they chose that side of the room. Encourage them to use scientific reasons.
- Reveal if the statement was true or false. Remember to explain the entire reasoning, since some perceptions are not 100% one way or another.
- Repeat the exercise with all of the statements that you have time for.