Superintendent [Insert First and Last Name]
[Insert Superintendent Address]
RE: Teaching Teen Dating Abuse in Our School System
Dear Superintendent [Insert Superintendent Last Name],
I am a student at ___ School, and I am writing as a citizen who is concerned about my generation's education.
I understand firsthand the importance of a well-rounded education. A quality education is the primary means of preparing young people to succeed in the business world but also in life. I feel that the inclusion of Teen Dating Abuse awareness in my school curriculum will act as a vital part of my preparation for the present and future.
1 in 3 teens have been or will be involved in an abusive relationship. Some facts teens need to know include:
- Only 33% of teens who are in an abusive relationship tell anyone about it.
- Dating violence is the leading cause of injury to young women.
- Dating Abuse can have severe psychological effects, including anxiety, inability to concentrate, and suicidal behavior.
While you may have heard of these study findings, many teens are still unaware of this widespread issue. It is for this reason that I hope you incorporate Teen Dating Abuse education in school curriculum. Specifically, I ask that you:
- Introduce a Teen Dating Abuse program within Health class, Language Arts, or a special seminar.
- Focus on Teen Dating Abuse facts and statistics as well as goals students can set to prevent future abuse.
Thank you for considering this important matter. I hope you can count on your support
(your handwritten signature)
[Your First and Last Name]