Fireworks, barbecues, red, white and blue cupcakes…it’s the 4th of July! In celebration of America’s Independence, we’ve brought you 5 crazy facts you should know about this day.
- On the 4th of July, Americans eat 150 million hot dogs. That’s enough to stretch from D.C. to L.A. more than 5 times.
- Three of the Founding fathers died on July 4th: John Adams,Thomas Jefferson, and James Monroe.
- Adams and Jefferson both died on July 4, 1826 during the 50th anniversary of the adoption of the Declaration of Independence.
- Monroe died on July 4th 1831.
- More than 14,000 fireworks display nationwide every 4th of July. The Macy’s 4th of July show in NYC uses 75,000 pounds of fireworks in roughly a half-hour.
- Most teen car accidents that happen throughout the year occur on July 4th.
- More teens die in car crashes during the 4th of July. According to the American Automobile Association (AAA), teen driving “goes up by 44 percent during summertime.”
- According to our friends at BuzzFeed, these are “America’s favorite songs” for July 4th:
- 3 percent prefer “The Star Spangled Banner”
- 1 percent prefer “God bless America”
- 96 percent prefer “Firework” by Katy Perry
Sources: History Channel, Washington Post, Today I Found Out , BuzzFeed.
Tips for holding a green barbeque. GO