There are 1.7 million homeless teens in the US. What the what? Even scarier, 1 out of every 3 homeless people is under the age 18. Take action around this issue. We’ve got 5 ways on how YOU can help.
1. Teens For Jeans: Last year we collected over 1 million pairs of jeans (1,021,042 to be exact) for homeless teens. It’s their number one requested item. This year, we’re looking to demolish that number. Start collecting now.
2. Serve food: Contact the local shelters in your area and get permission to host a special dinner for the homeless teens there – whether that means providing food supplies for the shelter to prepare it or doing a potluck style with your friends!
3. Sign and share this petition: 40 percent of homeless teens in America are LGBT. These teens have a much higher chance of experiencing violence on the streets and in homeless shelter systems. We’re asking New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg to fund more services for homeless LGBT young people. On any given night in NYC there are 3,800 homeless teens, 28 percent of them identify as LGBT.
4. Start a club at your school: and take action around this issue year-round. You could make hygiene kits, or hold a coat drive, or blanket drive.
5. Host a charitable basketball game: and ask for items you’re collecting for your drive (aka jeans or supplies to make a care package, etc).
Check out these tips on how to run your Teens For Jeans drive. GO