In honor of Earth Day yesterday, Nicole Richie took on the role of Captain Planet. Looks like she’s been hitting the gym! But in all seriousness… the celeb-gone-good blogged about the importance of raising awareness about issues involving the environment, stressing that living green is easy and effective. Here are the tips she had to offer on leading a more eco-friendly life!
1. Carry your own reusable containers to restaurants to bring home your leftovers.
2. Avoid buying bottled water and get a reusable bottle instead.
3. Use biodegradable alternatives to plastic (cups, utensils, plates, bags).
4. Compost all of your table scraps and leftover food — it all goes back into the earth.
5. Ride your bike if you’re traveling within two miles of your house (1 pound of CO2 pollution is cut for every mile pedaled).
6. Eat less meat and eat more local and organic foods.
7. My personal favorite: Turn things you might throw away into art projects for your kids — for instance, you can turn a baby food jar into a snow globe.
Nicole ended the post with the statement, “And remember kids, THE POWER IS YOURS.” In addition to following her great advice, take matters into your hands and spread the word about going green with our tips on conserving water, using energy wisely, and eco-fying your home.