The Hunt | Challenges
Create your Hunt team and enter to win a scholarship!
The Hunt began July 10th at 11:11AM. Challenges will release below, via email and text message each day at 11:11am EST
After you finish a challenge, tell us about it (text us or report back below) and you will earn points. The team with the most points will be qualified to win prizes. Good luck!
Look out for the ULTRAbonus challenges. We'll award a Lenovo Ultrabook each day for a team that completes an ULTRAbonus challenge! Remember, you have until July 23rd to complete all the challenges!
Day 1 – Environment
- Find a new use for 3 old items in your house (for example, use the recycled tomato jars to hold kitchen items like flour or sugar).
- Donate old cell phones to help reduce hazardous waste in your community. Visit hopephones.org/donate to download your free shipping label to mail your phones.
- ULTRAbonus: Get your team together to collect 100 cans and recycle them.
Day 2 – Violence and Bullying
- Use the search term “ABUSIVE TEENAGE RELATIONSHIP STATS” on Bing to find the stat. Share on FB, Twitter, and other networks.
- Brainstorm 3 ways to prevent bullying at your school. Tell us what your ideas were when you report back to collect your points.
- ULTRAbonus: Take the Bully Census to rate bullying in your school!
Day 3 – Poverty and Homelessness
- Live below the line. Spend 1.50 or less today. Send in photos of what you used your money for.
- Use Bing to find your local food pantry. Donate 5 items of food.
- ULTRAbonus: Find out what your slavery footprint is by visiting www.slaveryfootprint.org and share your results.
Day 4 – Saving Play
- Brainstorm 3 ways to save music education in schools. Share it on Facebook.
- Snap a picture of a park in your neighborhood that needs beautifying. Send us the park's name and cross streets to enter it into a national map of parks across the country!
- ULTRAbonus: Take your team to pick up at least 20 pieces of trash around your park.
Day 5 – Discrimination
- Use the search term “GENDER INEQUALITY IN US” on Bing to find the most shocking stat about gender inequality, then share it your friends to spread the word.
- Design a poster that tells us something about you we can't tell just looking at you. Tell us about your poster when you report back.
- ULTRAbonus: Imagine that you're in a wheelchair. Find areas in your community that aren't easily accessible for people with physical disabilities.
Day 6 – Fitness
- Replace all your drinks with water for the day. Find out how much sugar you avoided by checking the package labels.
- Make your favorite meal and change 3 things to make it healthier. Tell us what 3 things you changed.
- ULTRAbonus: Take your team out around the neighborhood to walk 1 mile or 2000 steps. (Did you know that 10,000 is the ideal distance per day?)
Day 7 – Animal Welfare
- Search for “HOMELESS ANIMALS IN US” on Bing to find the animal homelessness stat. Raise awareness by sharing it on Facebook.
- Go meat free for the day. Send in pictures of what you and your teammates ate instead!
- Find 3 household items to donate to your local animal shelter. (Need help finding the closest shelter? Use Bing to help locate it!)
Day 8 – Disaster Response and Relief
- Check all the smoke detectors in you and your teammates homes to make sure they are working properly.
- Identify the top risk in your community (tornado hurricane, forest fire) and create a disaster preparedness plan to post in your home.
- Create a disaster preparedness kit for your home including 3 of the following items: soap, bandages, tweezers, thermometer, gloves, scissors, safety pins, antiseptic
Day 9 – Education
- Search for “NATIONAL HIGH SCHOOL DROP OUT RATES” on Bing to find the stat about student drop out rates. Raise awareness by having every team member share the stat on their Facebook.
- Donate school supplies at your local Staples store.
- ULTRAbonus: Teach a senior citizen how to set up and use an email account.
Day 10 – Energy Conservation
- Brainstorm 5 ways to conserve water in your house. Share it with your social networks.
- Turn the AC settings to no lower than 78 degrees Fahrenheit.
- ULTRAbonus: Plugged-in electronics use power even when they're not on. Unplug 5 electronics or appliances that aren't being used.
Day 11 – WILDCARD
- Creativity: 50 possible points. Make us say wow as we watch your video over and over again and all 50 points will be yours.
- Enthusiasm: 50 possible points. Show us your love for “Doing Something”. The more love you show, the more points you receive.
- Participation: 50 possible points. You'll receive 5 points for every person who stars in your video up to 10 people in total (although 11+ are definitely encouraged!).
Create a video to tell us what cause you care about the most and how you’re taking action for it! Send it to us by uploading it to YouTube and then submitting your video link on the report back page. A panel of expert judges will determine your points based on the following categories: