If you want to help out at a nursing home, ditch the tired card games for once and try out some new activities.
Go around and write down or record memories from residents. Their stories can around a theme like:
- Your favorite memories of grade school.
- The best first date you ever went on.
- Where you were during a major world event (i.e. Pearl Harbor)
Make a booklet from the stories and distribute copies for residents to read. It'll make entertaining reading for everyone.
Put on a Talent Show
Consider bringing in friends to show off their artistic talents. Performers could:
- dance ballet
- make balloon animals
- do magic tricks
- act out a scene from an old movie (i.e. Casablanca)
Bring In Your Pets
The presence of pets  is good for a person's health. Bring in your cat or dog to the home for a visit with the seniors. Just remember:
- obtain the approval of the home's administration
- survey which residents are allergic or simply don't want to see the animals when they come
- only bring pets that are well trained and enjoy large amounts of people
Host a Game Show
Bingo is so last century (which we're sure the senior citizens remember all too well). Instead, host a game show between two teams. As the host, you could:
- Play a clip of a song and see which team can name first.
- Quiz two opponents about the personalities of the other residents in the home (i.e. "What is Mildred's favorite type of food?")
- Challenge three teams to guess the missing letters in a displayed word or phrase, kind of like a certain TV show with a wheel...