While earthquakes typically occur on the west coast, they can happen anywhere in the U.S. Do your classmates and friends know what to do if you start to feel the ground shake?
- Lead the class. Let the group you are trying to teach know what the drill is about and why you are doing it.
- Start the drill. Tell everyone to drop to the ground.
- Take cover under something sturdy. Everyone should hold on to the table or doorway that you are underneath. Have everyone stay where they are until you say the shaking has stopped.
- If you can get under something, stay low and protect your head with your arms.
- Identify which objects you need to secure. When the drill is over, ask everyone which things could fall after the drill. Then get to planning how to fasten a bookcase to the wall.
- And remember... If you’re at the beach, walk to higher ground after the quake in order to avoid a potential tsunami.
Source: The Great California Shake Out