All the joys of baking with absolutely no temptation to lick the spoon!
These make a great treat for dogs in your neighborhood or at a local shelter – just ask if they could use them before you begin
- First thing's first: Get ingredients together:
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 pint vegetable or chicken stock
- 3 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 2 cups cracked wheat or wheat germ
- 1/2 cup dry milk
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Dissolve yeast in ¼ cup warm water. Add to vegetable or chicken stock. Next, combine all dry ingredients in a separate bowl; add stock mixture.
- Knead mixture on a on a floured surface for about 3 minutes, working into a stiff dough. Roll out to a thickness of ¼ inch. You can cut the dough into bars or use a dog-bone cookie cutter.
- Beat 1 egg with 1 tablespoon milk. Brush each biscuit with a little of the egg/milk mixture and place on cookie sheets. Bake for about 45 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, but leave biscuits in the oven overnight. This makes them hard and crunchy!
- Makes 4- to 5-dozen dog biscuits