There is no question that comprehensive immigration reform is necessary, but the reform that some state governments are trying to pass is just plain eyebrow-raising. Case in point, the Support Our Law Enforcement and Safe Neighborhoods Act (AKA Arizona SB 1070) was the strictest form of anti-immigration legislation America has seen when it was signed in 2010. Some of the measures that riled up civil rights groups when it was signed included:
- Requires local police officers to question people about their immigration status if there is reason to suspect they are illegal (many have called this legal racial profiling);
- Allows lawsuits against government agencies that hinder enforcement of immigration laws;
- Makes it illegal to hire illegal immigrants for day labor or knowingly transport them.
Are we ready to become a country where being undocumented is a crime and law officials can go around at a whim asking for “your papers, please” (much like in Nazi Germany where “Papiere, Bitte” meant the same in German)? Oppose racial profiling today! Here’s how:
- Start a petition demanding that your representatives in Congress, the Obama administration, and the Department of Homeland Security start pushing for real comprehensive immigration reform.
- Organize a protest  in your area. Connect with local organizations and student groups that are leading the effort. Be prepared to talk to the media about why you oppose anti-immigration reform.
- Use your social media!
- Twitter: Use and follow hashtag #immigration to get involved with the conversation.
- Facebook: Change your profile picture to the solidarity badge above to show solidarity.