Give books to those in need
Spread the gift of literacy! Host a book drive in your school or community to benefit the underprivileged.
- Find your target. Contact someone to receive the books
- the local library
- a shelter
- a nursing home
- children’s hospitals
- Location is key. Set up boxes in your area’s schools, stores, hospitals, or anywhere else you’d think you’d snag a lot of reads (get permission first, though). In addition, see if your local library or book stores have any books they’d like to donate for a good cause.
- Promote. Get the word out in any way possible (fliers, posters, cold calling, social networking, email blasts, etc). Make sure to include the following information in your promotional material:
- Dates of the drive
- What books to bring and in what condition (mint to good condition would be preferable)
- Purpose of the drive
- Organize your books. Separate your newly donated reading material based on age group, where the books are going to go, and whether the book is paperback or hardcover.
- Send ‘em away. Once all of your hard work is done, arrange a time to deliver your books to the place that you’ve coordinated with.