Prevent pet neglect by creating this list or booklet.
Once people have adopted or bought a dog, they need to know how to care for it. Help prevent animal neglect by distributing tips that will encourage proper dog rearing:
- Find a veterinarian to interview. Search online for a local vet's office, and give them a call. Ask the vet if you can ask him or her questions about dog care.
- Collect the information. Tell the vet that you're collecting a list for owners that will help prevent dog neglect. Ask questions like:
- How often should an owner feed the dog? How much per meal?
- What is the best way to train a dog not to do something without hitting it?
- How often should an owner walk the dog?
- What are some warning signs that a dog is not in good health?
- How many times should the owner take the dog to the vet?
- Make your guide. Construct your booklet, list, or online post. This is your chance to be creative.
- Be sure to write that the information comes from a vet. Mention him or her by name and title (i.e. John Smith, DVM).
- Distribute the advice. Hand out your printed booklet or list a high traffic place (i.e. the mall, place of worship, school). You can also forward your list by text or email.