Nearly 4 million  dogs and cats are killed every year because of overcrowded shelters. Shocking, right? Let’s put that number in perspective. There are also around 4 million people currently living in sunny Los Angeles. (Yikes.)
Check out these five facts about animal homelessness.
- Homeless animals  outnumber homeless people 5 to 1.
- Over 20% of people who leave dogs in shelters adopted them from a shelter.
- It’s impossible to determine how many stray dogs and cats live in the U.S. Estimates for cats alone range up to 70 million.
- 9 out of 10 dogs born never find a permanent home.
- 5 to 7 million companion animals enter animal shelters  nationwide every year.
Even worse, one main reason these animals don’t get adopted is because of crappy photos. But, you can help change this with our new Pics for Pets  campaign!
Re-take photos of the animals at your local shelter and share the pics on Facebook or with your phone. GO