A new report  shows that 5-Hour Energy may have contributed to 13 deaths and over 30 serious or life-threatening injuries over the last four years. This is crazy for many reasons, one of which is that death is in fact the opposite of energy.
Still looking for a pick-me-up? Want to feel alive and actually stay alive? Check out these unexpected alternatives to energy drinks:
- Apples. “An apple a day keeps the sandman away.” Er, something like that. Applies are high in energy-boosting vitamins and natural sugar, which feels like a jolt of caffeine. Nature’s candy? Maybe “nature’s coffee” is more like it.
- Water. Up to 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated, which causes fatigue. Drink eight cups of water per day to turn your body from an arid desert into a high-powered waterfall. H20-yeah!
- Fish. Specifically salmon and other cold-water fatty fish (although, we prefer to call them “curvy”). These guys are high in energy-boosting vitamin B, along with magnesium and potassium. Gill get ‘em, tiger.
- Chocolate. Good news: when eaten in moderation, chocolate stimulates certain bioactive compounds and increases energy. Better news: with winter approaching, this applies to hot cocoa as well. (Just go easy on the ‘mallows, you hot chocoholic.)
- Sleep. You know that phrase, “I’ll sleep when I’m dead?" Yeah, well there’s no point in being alive if you go around all day feeling dead. Instead of watching another episode of Jersey Shore, go to bed. (Your dreams will be far more interesting anyway.)