Today is “Earth Day,” which means it’s the most IMPORTANT topic on everyone’s mind for the next 24 hours, but what about tomorrow? Since we live on this earth every day — not just on April 22 — its future is our future. Skip your extra-long shower tomorrow morning and let’s plan a few easy resolutions to celebrate planet earth the other 364 days a year.
- Walk, bike, or carpool. One gallon of gas produces 20 pounds of carbon dioxide, which is one of the main causes of global warming. Flying solo in a SUV? Don’t be that guy.
- Drink more water from reusable bottles. The plastic water bottles we buy and throw away are cluttering landfills around the world. They are made from a petroleum product which increases CO2 emissions and aren’t even biodegradable. Reuse, reuse, reuse (and if you must replace, recycle!).
- Green your school. Classrooms suck by leaving energy vampires plugged in at all times. Sign up your school to unplug the suckers and save energy.
- Be the cool, green kid at lunch. We all know the “cool kids” bring their lunch in brown paper bags. Well you can start a new trend (you hipster, you) AND save the planet. Bring a reusable lunch bag!
- Work for the environment. How? Volunteer at a park, beach, or other area in your community on the weekends. There will always be litter to clean up, leaves to rake, or animals to feed.
- Make your home a place for recycling. Don’t wait on your parents to make you take out the bottles. Set up three pails for garbage, paper, and plastics and encourage your family to separate their trash.
- Plant a vegetable garden. Not only will you be eating healthier and pesticide free, but you will save money and help the earth. If you don’t have a green thumb, you can always buy locally grown foods to reduce greenhouse emissions.