Affirmative action is a policy that gives opportunities to minorities, women, and any group who has been subject to discrimination in the past. People are split about the positives and negatives. We put together a few of the points that each side makes.
- Students and workers who start at a disadvantage get a boost to succeed.
- Affirmative action creates diversity.
- Special preference is given to minorities to make up for years of discrimination.
- Affirmative action is needed to break stereotypes.
- It may be demeaning to minorities to say that they need affirmative action to succeed.
- A society cannot be truly color-blind until they stop making decisions based on race.
- Affirmative action may create reverse discrimination.
- Because of affirmative action, a minority may beat out someone more capable for a job or school, simply because of race or gender.
You decide. Are you pro-affirmative action or against it? Let us know below.
Learn more by checking out History on Affirmative Action.  GO