• Coalinga, in Fresno County California has significant needs with regard to improving health outcomes. From increasing physical activity to preventing alcohol, tobacco and other drug (ATOD) problems, to decreasing violence and addressing overall health disparities (e.g. health access, nutrition, obesity and other health related issues), the community is ranked at the bottom half of all California Communities despite its increased and aggressive efforts from state and local health organizations.
• Cafeteria Makeover is a youth-led project that will allow members of the Coalinga Youth Council and Huron Youth Council renovate the Coalinga High School Cafeteria to promote healthy living and change the norm of eating out at fast food restaurants. The overall goals of the Cafeteria Makeover is:
1) Renovate the Coalinga High School Cafeteria in order to promote healthy eating habits, physical activity, change norms about living healthy. Renovations include painting, redesigning the furniture and framing pictures that promote healthy living.
2) Work with school staff on improving the school lunch menu to provide alternatives for eating healthier and improving current lunch menus by creating a variety of healthy food choices with current operating budget and resources.
3) Promote programs to increase access to information and resources related to nutrition, healthy food options, and physical activity.
4) Work with school staff to promote comprehensive health education classes.