The Elizabeth House is a place in Laurel, Maryland where the Fish of Laurel group feeds homeless people every day. I help by serving food there periodically. Everyone who works there is a volunteer. This is a nonprofit organization, and there is no money to improve the building or lot. This project was to make needed improvements to the lot that the Elizabeth House is on and to clean the exterior of the building by organizing a group of volunteers.
The Elizabeth House's grounds were full of weeds. There were weeds all around the house and throughout the parking lot. The parking lot needed to have gravel spread on it. The siding of the house was dirty. There was unwanted vegetation in the yard. There was also a small unwanted tree hanging over the parking lot and dropping things on the cars beneath.
I explained my project to some youth in my church group and asked for volunteers. Once they signed up, I gave them the project details and where and when to meet. When we were doing the project, I organized them into groups and assigned jobs to them. I made sure they had the supplies they needed, and I oversaw their work.
We began by spraying the weeds with weed-killer. We came back a week later and pulled and got rid of all the weeds and dug out the unwanted vegetation. Then, we cut down and disposed of the small unwanted tree. Next, we cleaned the siding on the house. We then spread gravel on the parking lot and driveway.
My project made the Elizabeth House look nicer, and took care of some things that needed attention for the maintenance of the building and grounds. It also raised awareness about the Elizabeth house to the volunteers who worked on my project and through the press it got. This project was meant to allow the Fish of Laurel to focus on providing for the homeless people in the city without having to worry about the details of the outside of the building and grounds, and to make the Elizabeth House a more attractive part of the community. I feel that these things were achieved.