In order to meet this goal, I went through many steps. First, I organized the materials that I would need to make the quilts. I obtained donations from Wendy Hager and from Hoffman Fabrics. I also purchased a small amount of fabric, batting, and thread. Once I had all of the supplies for the quilts, I needed to make kits for the quilts in a way that appealed to volunteers. I made easy to follow instructions on the different quilt patterns. Also, I had a workshop where three of my friends helped me sew the backs of the quilts together. In addition, I held a kitting workshop at Material Possessions where my coworkers came in and cut the fabric into the exact sizes needed for the quilts. These cut pieces of fabric were then sorted into the different quilt kits. Each quilt kit consisted of a quilt pattern, general information about my project, information on sewing workshops, the precut fabric, batting, backing, and thread. This meant that each quilt kit had enough materials to completely finish the quilt.
I then contacted the quilt guild presidents of three different guilds to see if I could speak at their guild meetings. Flying Geese Quilters Guild and Inland Empire Quilters Guild both said it would be fine for me to speak to their members about helping me with the project. I went to both meetings and spoke to the members about my project. During my presentation, I explained the need for more quilts for teenage girls and I showed a quilt that I made for the project as an example. After the meetings, quilters came up to me and volunteered to take all of the quilt kits.
Then I offered sewing workshops to all the quilters who took a kit. These workshops gave the quilters an impetus to start working on their projects. Also, I contacted all the quilters to see how they were doing on their quilts. I then went to their guild meetings again and collected the quilts. Once I received all of the quilts, I dropped them off at Orangewood Children’s Home, since I cannot meet the girls myself due to privacy issues.