I'm Lauren, 17 years old and a senior in high school. I've been planning this event for quite some time. Ever since I heard about The Love Alliance non-profit organization, I wanted to get involved with it. Especially the clean water crises. I first read these facts:
- Every 15 seconds someone dies of a waterborne illness.
- Currently, over 1 Billion people in the world do not have access to an improved drinking water source.
- 41% of the world does not have access to adequate sanitation facilities, making the likelihood of water contamination and waterborne illness increase greatly.
- The amount of money North American spend on soda every year would solve the clean water crisis.
- $1 provides one year of clean water for an African.
- More than 50 million people drink arsenic-poisoned water in China and south Asia.
From then on I knew I wanted to do something. So I decided to combine my love for music with this. I wanted to put on a benefit show to raise money. I had to book the venue, get a promotion company to sponsor it, get all the artists/bands, call and talk to many people about it, spread the word and promote the show. And I have to come up with $200 extra dollars to pay for rent for the venue. I'm really excited, and I hope that it will be a success, so far I'm expecting about 100 people to show up. It's not until February 16th, but it has taken me a while to get this together so that I know I can make this work. If this is a success, I plan on putting on another benefit show sometime in June.