- In the United States, about 750,000 women under the age of 20 become pregnant every year, meaning that about 750,000 men are also involved in teen pregnancies.
- Eight out of 10 teen dads don’t marry the mother of their child.
- Absent fathers pay less than $800 annually for child support.
- Teen fathers are required to pay child support until the child is 18-years-old.
- Only one in five mothers receives child support from the father.
- Teen fathers earn 10 to 15 percent less annually than men who wait to have children.
- Teen dads are less likely to finish high school than their peers.
- Teen fathers are more likely to get involved with criminal behavior, including alcohol and drug abuse.
- Children who don't live with their fathers are five times more likely to be poverty-stricken than children with both parents at home.
- An unmarried father has rights and responsibilities concerning custody, visitation and child support. However, an unmarried father needs to take legal action to obtain these rights and responsibilities.
- Teen fathers face a lack of teen parent programs to help them.
Get the conversation about sex started. GO
- Teresa Roca is a NYC writer who is obsessed with celebrities, sports and movies. Her favorite cause is bullying and violence.
Sources: Stay Teen, The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, eHow, LiveStrong