Do a home safety inspection with your parents. Make sure all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working. Also, remove and eliminate anything that can cause a fire hazard.
Always sleep with your bedroom door closed, it keeps smoke out of your room and in case of a fire, you have more time to escape.
If you’re cooking, keep paper towels and drying cloths far from the oven/ stove. And, don’t leave anything unattended.
Cool a burn by running cold water on it for 10 to 15 minutes. Never put butter or grease on a burn. If the burned skin blisters or is charred, see a doctor ASAP. NEVER use ice.
Post emergency telephone numbers by the phone including doctors and other family members you can go to in times of distress.
Place matchboxes and lighters in a safe place away from children.
Place candles at least four feet away from curtains, drapes, and blinds. In case of a power outage, DO NOT light candles. One third of people killed in candle fires were using them for light due to no power. Use a flashlight instead.
When the holidays come around, watch out for plugging too many light cords into one extension cord.
Lastly, don’t waste time getting dressed or collecting valuables. Your life is the most valuable thing. If there is ever a fire in your home—just get out as quickly and as safely as you can.
For ideas on how you can take action around this issue, click here. GO