How To: Use Google Sites
Google Sites is one of the tools found in Google's nonprofit resources, it allows you to display a variety of information in one place – including videos, slideshows, calendars, presentations, attachments and text – and share it for viewing with a small group, an entire organization or the world. You always control who has access to your site.
To create your site
- Once you’ve signed in to your Google Account, visit sites.google.com
- Click the Create site button
- Enter your site name and the URL where it will be located (i.e. sites.google.com/site/yoursite) as well as an optional description of the site
- Select one of these sharing options: "Everyone can view this site" or "Only people I specify can view this site"
- Pick a theme for your site that goes with your organization's colors. You can tweak a lot of these later.
- Once you’ve created the site you can create a new page by clicking the Create page button.
- Then simply name the page and select the type of page you want: webpage, dashboard, announcement, file cabinet, or list.
To edit your site
- Click the Edit Page button in the upper right hand corner of the screen
- The edit toolbar also allows you do edit text by changing the font, the size, create a numbered or bulleted list etc.
- You can create a link by highlighting the text you want to turn into a link, and click the Link button. A window will pop up so you can pick whether you want to link on the existing page, provide a web address, or create a new page and link to it.
- You can edit the HTML on your site by clicking the HTML button.
- Through the Edit Page you can also insert objects (such as images, Google Docs, or videos or apps) by clicking Insert and then whatever it is you’d like to add or embed gadgets (rich media such as recent posts, updated files, recent list items, even maps!) by simply clicking on the gadget you want. If you want to first check how the gadget looks in your site, click Preview Gadget first.
To share your site once you’ve created your site, you can share it with friends, family, coworkers, or just make it public.
- Click 'More Actions' in the top right of any page and select Share this site.
- You can control who can edit and view your site by adding others as owners, collaborators, or viewers.
- Owners can invite other owners, collaborators, or viewers; change site themes and layout; change the site name; delete the site, do everything a collaborator can do.
- Collaborators can: create, edit, delete pages; move pages; add attachments; add comments, add pages to and remove them from the sidebar navigation, subscribe to site and page changes.
- Viewers can: view pages
- To keep track of changes you and your collaborators have made to your site click 'More Actions' in the top right of any page and select Revision history. You can also revert to an older version by viewing the Version history.
- Receive email notifications of when someone changes the site by going to More Actions and clicking the Subscribe to site changes button.
- Another cool tool that shares your site automatically is AddThis.com