1. Establish a national network for youth in foster care that have experienced sex trafficking and prostitution. I have been given permission to use FosterClub’s existing website and create content for this particular issue. I want to invite youth to connect with each other through this online platform and create bonds, resources and a drumbeat about sex trafficking in the child welfare system.
2. Create outreach materials for youth that are transitioning out of the life of sex trafficking and youth that are still there. Print media, publications and resource guides (nationally and by state) to give recourse and help. Too often all that trafficked youth have are generalized materials targeted to foster youth or youth as a whole. I want to create specific material for this very specific experience.
3. I want the youth that we have engaged to come to DC and give a briefing to state and federal legislators on the problems affecting youth in care who have been sex trafficked and have specific laws, guides and programs put in place to effect change.
4. Create a database of stories by the foster youth who were sex trafficked. This will help to give tangible voice to this population and give youth the opportunity to process their experiences.
5. Get the youth in congregate care to protect themselves from falling into dangerous relationships through education and supports. If we had 100,000 we could use it to travel to different states, counties and youth boards to raise awareness about the urgency to help and protect this vulnerable population. With caring adults who know the dangers, can educate youth and be a resource if the worst were to happen or is happening would do a lot to help young people escape or avoid the sex trafficking industry.