Over half of America's pets are overweight. (Yikes.) Take action against pet obesity—follow these tips to keep the animals you know and love healthy.
Watch what you feed them
- Be sure to feed a pet the label's recommended amount at mealtime.
- Don't feed your pet too many treats—they contain calories too.
- If your dogs whine or beg between meals, give them attention, not food. Pet them for a while or take them outside.
- Taking an inside cat out for a walk isn't the best idea, but all dogs need exercise daily. The amount yours needs depends on its breed.
Take them to the vet
- Take your pet to the vet at least once a year. The vet might recommend more visits based on the pet's health.
Consulted by: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Toi P. Pedrick, in association with Hill's Science Diet
Get the facts about pet obesity. GO