Who says you can't use art to promote change? Poetry is a great way to tell people about your cause, while getting them to take action.
- Before you do anything, go to a few poetry slams in your area. This will give you some tips on what to do and what not to do for your own event. If you don’t have any slams nearby, you can rent a documentary.
- You want to find a space big enough for a lot of people. Your school’s library, auditorium, community center, town hall, or a nearby café can work.
- Get your friends and family to help out. Assign people different positions such as judging or spreading the word.
- Post fliers for everyone to see. Make sure they include:
- Sign-up sheet location
- The cause you are having the poetry slam about
- Poem length
- Date, time and location.
- Bake some yummy goodies to sell during the event. Donate the profits to a charity or organization that benefits the cause you support.
- Make a schedule of performances and allow some extra time between poetsce
Power Poetry: online poetry slams for teen poets