Summer is a great time to kick back and relax, to decompress from all of the stress that the rest of the year brings. Sleeping in until well into the afternoon, marathoning shows on Netflix, and eating entire boxes of freezer pops may have been perfect for the first month, but now you and your friends are looking to mix things up. Here are some ideas that are not only fun, but get you moving at the same time.
- Find a charity near you that hosts a walk. Many charities find that summer is the season to host them, so you won’t have to look far.
- Host the first annual Backyard Olympics! Improvise on classic events. Throw Frisbee instead of discus, do synchronized swimming in the kiddie pool, hold the relay around the cul-de-sac. Stock up on kooky prizes from the dollar store.
- Try out geocaching. Visit geocaching.com, find a site near you, and leave your own package for other geocachers to find when you’re done.
- Find a new sport. Rent pairs of roller-skates. Get a ball and learn how to play water polo at the local pool.
- Be a tourist in your own town. It may be the most boring place in the world to you, but imagine it through a new set of eyes. Bike to the far side of town. Find things that you’ve never noticed before. Take a walking tour of your neighborhood and insert colorful commentary.
Get the facts about summer safety. GO
- Emily Bergmann, like most writers, writes. She is a sophomore at Wheaton College in Massachusetts and her favorite cause is sex and relationships.