Ever heard of Governor Sarah Palin from Alaska? Yeah, neither had we. But in a huge shock to the GOP ticket, it looks like she'll be John McCain's running mate for the presidency!
McCain is totally trying to steal Barack's thunder from last night!
This is a huge shake-up to the Republican ticket, which was getting criticism for seeming stodgy and old compared to Barack Obama. It's also a clear attempt to go after moderate Democrats who miss Hilary.
It's still a little fishy though. She's been a Governor for less than 2 years and before that was a mayor of a town of only 9,000. She's met John McCain only twice.
A Shoe-in for Women Voters?
Not so much. When Democrat Geraldine Ferraro ran for vice president in 1984 (the first woman on a major party ticket), she and Walter Mondale lost the women’s vote by 12 percentage points to Ronald Reagan and George Bush.
Who She Is
- The first female Governor of Alaska
- At 44, she's the youngest Governor of Alaska ever
- She's also the most popular governor in America, with an approval rating of around 90 percent.
- A lifetime member of the NRA
- A mother of 5
- Got a B.S. in Journalism from the University of Idaho in 1987
- Her husband is an oil production operator on Alaska's North Slope
Where She Stands
- Opposes abortion rights
- Supports drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Reserve
- She is an Evangelical Christian who strongly supports teaching Creationism in schools.
- Her online bio says her main issues are "education and workforce development, public health and safety, and transportation and infrastructure development."
Watch this YouTube clip of her discussing her support of oil drilling and DISCUSS BELOW!
Breaking Update: CNN allegedly broke this story by having a bunch of 23 year-olds staking out the private planes at the Minneapolis airport see what Republican came into town!