1. Domestic/dating violence is a pattern of controlling behaviors that one partner uses to get power over the other. Including: physical violence or threat of physical violence to get control, emotional or mental abuse and sexual abuse.
2. 85% of domestic violence victims are women.
3. 1/3 of American women and 1/4 of women worldwide will experience domestic/dating violence in their lifetime.
4. An estimated 1.3 million women are victims of physical assault by an intimate partner each year. 1/3 of American women and 1/4 of women worldwide will experience domestic/dating violence in their lifetime.
5. Only 25% of all physical assaults perpetrated by intimate partners are reported to the police.
6. Females who are 20 to 24 years of age are at the greatest risk for of nonfatal intimate partner violence.
7. Boys who witness domestic violence are 2 times as likely to abuse their own partners and children when they become adults.
8. Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women – more than car accidents, muggings, and rapes combined.
9. 1/2 of all homeless women and children in the U.S. are fleeing from domestic violence.
10. Every 9 seconds in the U.S. a woman is assaulted or beaten.
11. In 70% to 80% of intimate partner homicides, no matter which partner was killed, the man physically abused the woman before the murder.