11 ways to do something with your family
In the DS tradition of no cars, no money, no adults, here are a few things you can organize to do with your family.
- Volunteer together. A family that volunteers together, stays together. That’s the way it should go, right? Check out our action matrix  for ideas.
- Bake together. Prepare a double batch of healthy cookies and deliver one to a needy family. Cookies don’t have to be unhealthy. Check out some delicious recipes on eatingwell.com .
- Hit nature together. Go to a park and hike or climb trees.
- Eat well together Pack a healthy picnic and head out to a grassy knoll or stay close to home by laying a blanket in your backyard.
- Exercise together. Go roller skating or ice skating, for a run or a walk.
- Donate together. Clean out your closets and donate what you don’t use to a homeless shelter or charity.
- Green thumb together. One sunny Saturday morning, get out the gardening tools and head to your community center that could use some free yard work. Everyone can pitch in and help.
- Entertain together Visit a nursing home and read, sing or dance for the residents.
- Be creative together. Write and act out a play centered on a specific holiday or a character quality. Then see if you can perform at your place of worship or a nursing home.
- Show care together. Create a traveling friendship basket. Fill a basket with baked goodies, coupons, and so forth. Pass it on to a family member. Leave a note in the basket, directing it to be passed on (within the week) to someone else who could use some cheer.
- Help your hood together. Check out your community calendar on your town’s website or stop by city hall to find a list of events going on in the community. You’ll be surprised at how many interesting activities are going on right now in your area: a park clean-up, community rally, you get the point.