A movie night turned tragic for many when 24-year-old James Holmes opened fire at a Colorado movie theater early Friday morning. The gunman left at least 12 dead and 50 injured. We are deeply saddened by this news and want to send our condolences to the family and friends of the victims.
Gun violence is a serious issue that can affect many. Here are 7 shocking facts about gun use in the U.S.
- 70 to 80 million Americans own guns.
- 40-45% of households in the U.S. contain a gun. This means that a loaded gun is in 1 in every 10 households with children.
- As of January 2011, 39 states have laws permitting individuals with gun licenses to carry concealed guns in the streets.
- Most guns used in crimes are stolen from homes or gun dealers.
- There are no federal laws that prevent minor access to guns.
- An unlocked and “hidden away” gun is in 1 in 8 family homes.
- Only nine states have trigger-lock laws, where gun sellers are required to sell integrated or internal trigger locks with handguns.
Read the full list here .
Organize a rally around this issue. GO