The highly anticipated 2012 London Olympics are finally here. To kick off weeks of swimming, gymnastics, soccer and more AMAZING sports, we want to highlight five fierce competitors that have helped out, while bringing home the gold.
- Michael Phelps. The swimming champ founded the Michael Phelps Foundation. This organization promotes healthy and active lives for children by providing them with opportunities to participate in swimming.
- Ryan Lochte. Even more impressive than the Phelps vs. Lochte showdown (we can’t wait) is Ryan’s charity work. He is currently spokesperson for Parent Project, which is a parenting skills program, and the Mac Foundation, which raises funds for drowning awareness.
- Venus Williams. The tennis star used her skills for good by playing in a charity tennis game for the Dream Vaccines Foundation and Women's Sports Foundation. She was even honored for her charity and humanitarian work with the 21st Century Leader Award.
- Kobe Bryant. The basketball pro started the After-School-All-Stars program. This awesome sauce program brings cultural education programs to thousands of young people living in low-income areas.
- Allyson Felix. The track runner is an ambassador for the Children’s Miracle Network, which raises money to help operate children’s hospitals across the country. Allyson also ran a 5km race to raise money for the senior center in her hometown of Santa Clarita.
Get into the Olympic spirit by hosting a field day at your school. GO