This year's Memorial Day will probably be like any other—celebratory, a day in which we kick off the summer. However, the holiday was created to remember those that lost their lives when serving our country. While you've probably thought of some classic ways to honor soldiers—lower the American flag to half mast, visit a veteran memorial—here are some not-so-obvious ways you and your friends can show your support.
- Give or plant poppies for a military family. Poppies  are the flowers of remembrance for soldiers. Show your respect by gifting the flowers or leaving them on the grave of a soldier.
- Play a military song. Gather everyone at the BBQ and play these memorial songs  on your trumpet, guitar, piano, or harmonica. We recommend the military classic Taps .
- Host a moment of silence. 3pm local time wherever you are is designated the National Moment of Remembrance .
- Fly a POW/MIA flag at half mast. This flag  specifically recognizes those who are Prisoners of War or Missing in Action.
- Add a fallen hero to the registry. Type in your honorable tribute to a soldier line at The National Gold Star Family Registry .
What Can You Do?
Check out more ways to help our troops , including: