Reduce dating abuse and encourage positive relationships
Unhealthy relationships and dating abuse affect the lives of many young people today. Volunteer to take a stand against abuse, unsafe sex practices, and sexism. Join millions of young people that care by signing up for a campaign below to fight against abusive relationships.
DoSomething.org runs dozens of campaigns each year that focus on sexual health and positive relationships. Turn street harassment into empowering street art with Take Back the Streets. Heard a friend say a sexist comment? Pineapple Push-Ups teaches you how to call them out with one word and 10 push-ups. If you or a friend have experienced a tough break-up, Breakup Bash can help you get the closure you need.
Whatever steps you want to take, whether it’s sharing resources, helping friends heal, or providing supplies for victims, we have you covered.
Sign up now. Join millions of young people volunteering to make a difference.
Facts About Relationships
- 1 in 5 young women will be sexually assaulted while in college. 1
- At some online retailers, up to 90 to 95% of female costumes are designed to be "sexy." 2
- Over 40% of young people say they don't verbally express enthusiastic consent before or during sex. 3
- Between 70% and 99% of women experience street harassment at some point in their lives. 4
- Study-abroad students who don’t speak the native language are 3 to 5 times more likely to be sexually assaulted overseas. 5
Black, M.C., Basile, K.C., Breiding, M.J., Smith, S.G., Walters, M.L., Merrick, M.T., Chen, J., & Stevens, M.R. The National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey (NISVS):National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2011.
Christa Getz, Purchasing Director. BuyCostumes.com. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/19/fashion/19costume.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
Hickman, Susan E., and Charlene L. Muehlenhard. "“By The Semi‐mystical Appearance Of A Condom”: How Young Women And Men Communicate Sexual Consent In Heterosexual Situations."Journal of Sex Research 36, no. 3 (1999): 258-272.
National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey. 2010.
Redden, Elizabeth. "Study Finds Increased Risk of Sexual Assault on Study Abroad @insidehighered." Study Finds Increased Risk of Sexual Assault on Study Abroad @insidehighered. N.p., 19 Dec. 2012. Web. 03 June 2014. http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2012/12/19/study-finds-increased-risk-sexual-assault-study-abroad#sthash.QZXAxHBz.dpbs
What You Get
Psh, what DON’T you get? Each campaign offers the key facts, pro tips, and four easy action steps you need to rock the campaign and make an impact.
- Step 1, Know It: You get stats on the problem and how you’re going to solve it.
- Step 2, Plan It: You’ll learn the stuff you need, how to recruit others to take action with you, and how to prep to take action.
- Step 3, Do It: You’ll learn how to actually do the darn thing and make the biggest impact possible.
- Step 4, Prove It: Snap a pic of you in action and upload it! Each campaign counts as volunteer experience for your resume. And you can enter to win scholarships! Speaking of…
Scholarships and Contests
You make the world suck less for others. Great! So what’s in it for you? Money. Lots and lots of money. (For school.) Complete any campaign on the site, send a pic in the Prove It section, and you’ll enter to win a $10,000 scholarship! We award one of these seasonal scholarships four times a year. And, lots of other campaigns offer their own scholarship opps. Mad chances to win mad money.
DoSomething.org makes the world suck less. One of the largest orgs for young people and social change, our millions of members tackle campaigns that impact every cause, from poverty to violence to the environment to literally everything else. Any cause, anytime, anywhere. *mic drop