- As of Oct. 2012, the average student loan debt for the class of 2011 was $26,600.
- Americans owe more in student loan debt than credit card debt.
- About two-thirds of all college students graduate with student loans.
- Private lenders control approximately 15 percent of the over $1 trillion in outstanding student loan debt held nationwide.
- Of the 37 million borrowers who have outstanding student loan balances, 14 percent or 5.4 million borrowers, have at least one student loan account that isn’t paid on time.
- The majority of borrowers still paying back their loans are in their 30s or older.
- 2 out of 5 student loan borrowers are delinquent (when you don’t make loan payments when they’re due) at some point in the first five years of entering repayment.
- About 65 percent of high-debt student loan borrowers were surprised or misunderstood aspects of their loans or the borrowing process.
- There is now over $8 billion in defaulted private loans (when you haven’t made a payment on your loan in 9 months and have not made arrangements with your lender to defer payments) as of 2012.
- There is approximately $864 billion in outstanding federal student loan debt, while the remaining $150 billion is in private loans.
- Student loans are the most common form of increasing debt among 18- to 24-year-olds.
Learn how to apply for financial aid. GO
Sources: Yahoo, American Student Assistance, Credit.com, FinAid