Donate your time for those in need.
45 million Americans live in poverty, including one in every five children in the United States. Poor families face incredible hardships, including food insecurity, hunger, and limited access to education and services.Volunteer to donate food, clothing, school supplies, and household essentials. Join millions of young people that care by signing up for a campaign below to give back to those in need.
DoSomething.org offers dozens of campaigns that provide volunteer opportunities to help families and children in poverty. Supermarket Stakeout and Tackle Hunger are campaigns to run food drives to help local food pantries and food banks. Collect and donate school supplies for children in poverty with Backpack Attack. Want to focus on improving literacy rates? Collect books for children in need through Stacks on Stacks.
Whichever way you want to give back, whether it’s donating your time, food, or other items, we have you covered.
Sign up now. Join millions of young people volunteering to make a difference.
Facts About Poverty
- 22% of children in the US are growing up in poverty, making it hard to afford items like backpacks and other school supplies. 1
- In low-income neighborhoods, there is only one book for every 300 children. 2
- In 2012, 49 million people lived in households without enough food to eat. 3
- Nearly 1 in 6 seniors in America may not know where their next meal is coming from. 4
- First aid items are regularly needed by homeless shelters but rarely donated. 5
Addy, Sophia, William Engelhardt, and Curtis Skinner. "Basic Facts About Low-income Children, Children Under 18 Years, 2011." 2013.
Addy, Sophia, William Engelhardt, and Curtis Skinner. "Basic Facts About Low-income Children, Children Under 18 Years, 2011." 2013
USDA. “Household Food Security in the United States in 2012.” 2012
Gunderson, Craig and Ziliak, James. "The State of Senior Hunger in America 2012: An Annual Report." National Foundation to End Senior Hunger, May, 2014.
"First Aid Kits." California 4-H Foundation. N.p., n.d. Web.http://ca4hfoundation.org/impact/project/first-aid-kits
What You Get
Psh, what DON’T you get? Each campaign offers the key facts, pro tips, and four easy action steps you need to rock the campaign and make an impact.
- Step 1, Know It: You get stats on the problem and how you’re going to solve it.
- Step 2, Plan It: You’ll learn the stuff you need, how to recruit others to take action with you, and how to prep to take action.
- Step 3, Do It: You’ll learn how to actually do the darn thing and make the biggest impact possible.
- Step 4, Prove It: Snap a pic of you in action and upload it! Each campaign counts as volunteer experience for your resume. And you can enter to win scholarships! Speaking of…
Scholarships and Contests
You make the world suck less for others. Great! So what’s in it for you? Money. Lots and lots of money. (For school.) Lots of campaigns offer scholarship opps. Check out our scholarships page, complete a campaign listed, send a pic in the Prove It section, and you’ll enter to win! Mad chances to win mad money.
DoSomething.org is the largest tech company exclusively for young people and social change. We’re activating 6 million young people (and counting!) to make positive change, online and off, in every US area code and in over 131 countries. Our members have clothed half of America’s youth in homeless shelters. And cleaned up 3.7 million cigarette butts from the streets. And run the largest youth-led sports equipment drive in the world. And more! Welcome to DoSomething. Let’s Do This.