- Nearly 30,000 Americans commit suicide every year.
- In the U.S., suicide rates are highest during the spring.
- Suicide is the third leading cause of death for 15- to 24-year-olds and second for 24- to 35-year-olds.
- On average, one person commits suicide every 16.2 minutes.
- Each suicide intimately affects at least six other people.
- About two-thirds of people who complete suicide are depressed at the time of their deaths. Depression that is untreated, undiagnosed, or ineffectively treated is the number one cause of suicide.
- There is one suicide for every 25 attempted suicides.
- Males make up 79 percent of all suicides, while women are more prone to having suicidal thoughts.
- 1 in 65,000 children ages 10 to 14 commit suicide each year.
- There are twice as many deaths due to suicide than HIV/AIDS.
- More than half of all suicides are completed with a firearm.
Learn the risk-factors of suicide and depression. GO
Sources: Save,SPS America, CDC